Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Self-Reliance," a most quotable text

"Self-Reliance," by Ralph Waldo Emerson struck me as being full of quotes that one might see placed over a pretty picture and pinned on Pinterest as quotes about life or posted on tumblr, or something of that nature. For this reason, I've decided to blog about a collection of quotes that most resonated with me.


"A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages. Yet he dismisses without notice his thought, because it is his."
I love this quote for both its meaning and its imagery. Emerson tells us that we have to trust our intuition and imagination; the thoughts that flash across our mind are potentially brilliant. People have a tendency to qualify their thoughts by saying, "I think," "I feel" or, "In my opinion" rather than simply stating their thoughts. This quote addresses that tendency to "dismiss without notice" our own thoughts as wise statements. In my own writing, I struggle to stop qualifying my statements and deeming them less valuable than that of another author or critic.

"The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried."
The part of this quote that stood out to me was "nor does he know until he has tried." This is the idea that until we attempt something, we cannot know the result. I do not whether I will succeed or fail until I at least try. This is a reminder that we are powerful and that we must test our own power without fear of failure.
"We but half express ourselves, and are ashamed of that divine idea which each of us represents."
This quote reminded me of the human tendency to censor ourselves. There are a lot of things that I do not say in the course of a day because something has caused me to doubt whether or not I should speak at certain times. Emerson rejects this censorship; he believes that our selves and our self-expression are representative of something "divine." If we doubt ourselves, we limit our opportunities for expression; Emerson reminds us that there is no reason to doubt ourselves.
"Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string."
This quote also emphasizes the need to trust one's intuition and thoughts. I liked the succinctness of this line; it makes this quote an easy motto for life.
"How is a boy the master of society; independent, irresponsible ... He cumbers himself never about consequences, about interests: he gives an independent, genuine verdict ... But the man is, as it were, clapped into jail by his consciousness."
I love this quote because it addresses how socialization negatively affects people. First, Emerson discusses the freedom of being a child; children are known for speaking without inhibitions. Then, he compares a person's growing consciousness to a jail. Emerson asserts that all people start their lives with independent thoughts and a willingness to express themselves freely, but as we are socialized, we begin to censor ourselves.
"Society everywhere is in conspiracy against the manhood of every one of its members."
This quote is closely related to the previous quote. Society robs people of their individuality by forcing them to conform to norms of behavior. This process of normalization suppresses one's own instincts in favor of the larger society's opinions.
"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist."
Emerson asserts that one's manhood is determined by one's individuality. I took it to mean that to be a whole person, one must be a nonconformist. If we all conform to one ideal, we are a group rather than individuals. Our individual identity is formed by refusing to conform; our differences (and willingness to be different) sets us apart in ways that make us human. Diversity is what creates a beautiful and interesting world.
"My life is not an apology, but a life. It is for itself and not for a spectacle."
There is strength in the words "my life is not an apology." This is a refusal to live life for others or to live in an attempt to validate one's existence. Life is simply life.
"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude."
I identify strongly with all of Emerson's quotes that value nonconformity. I appreciate difference and value people who are willing to be different. This quote is a reminder that the easy way to live is to conform with the world, but the easiest way to live is not the most rewarding. It is easy to publicly agree with the world, but Emerson asserts that it is only by keeping "the independence of solitude" that one becomes great.
"The other terror that scares us from self-trust is our consistency; a reverence for our past act or word."
I like this quote because it serves as a reminder that it is okay to change one's mind. Opinions change over time, for a variety of reasons. Emerson allows room for evolution; he says that it is limiting to try to always be consistent.
"Insist on yourself; never imitate."
This is one of the most quotable lines of "Self-Reliance" because it is concise and profound. Emerson argues that we must not strive to be like others; we are capable of our own greatness. Imitation does not produce great new meaning; it is just mimicry of a previous thought.
"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. Nothing can bring you peace but the triumph of principles."
This quote resonated with me because peace of mind is a powerful concept. One of my ultimate goals is to be content with myself and my life. Emerson says that the only thing that will bring me peace is myself and the triumph of principles. If I can rely on myself and my principles, I can find peace. That is a beautiful thought.

Although much of what Emerson wrote resonated with me, I did not agree with his consistent use of masculine pronouns and references to "man" or "manhood." As someone who speaks out against conformity, one would think that Emerson would have broken the tradition of using masculine language. I found myself wanting to add bracketed phrases such as "or she" and "or woman" to each of these quotes so that they would be inclusive. I settled for offering my interpretations using inclusive and gender neutral language.

No comments:

Post a Comment